18 January 2012

Coconut Curry Lentil Soup

Original version of the soup
 So I've made this soup a couple of times now, and this is the first time I could get around to writing down the recipe. Each time I made it, it turned out looking a little different. The first time was definitely more visually appealing (see below), so I'm going to offer some tweaks to the recipe I used for the second go around to try to duplicate the original recipe.

I had the soup this one is based on a few months ago at Bella Bella in Tallahassee, FL. Like most things at Bella Bella, I fell madly in love with it and had to try to make it myself. Each time I've made the soup, though, I think I've moved further and further away from Bella Bella's version and more into creating something that is a bit more mine.

I included white nuts -- also known as gingko nuts -- in the recipe because I used them the first time and felt they added something to the soup. I've only been able to find them at the oriental grocery store, though. If there isn't one of them near your home, I wouldn't worry about adding them.

This soup become something of a standard in our house, because it's very easy to make (yes, I'm shameless that way) and it reheats very well, both of which make it ideal for making in bulk for lunches at work (hence the picture of it in my handy lunch container). The recipe as it stands right now feeds two people a decent sized lunch for two days; depending on how it's put in containers, you might get one more meal for one person out of it.

Coconut Curry Lentil Soup
A recipe by Kat

Most recent version of Coconut Curry Lentil Soup, in my
handy lunch container
Ingredients
  • 6 cups of water
  • 4 cubes or teaspoons of vegetable bouillon
  • 1 1/2 cups of lentils (I used green lentils)
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1/2 onion, diced
  • 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
  • 2 tsp of ground ginger (or to taste)
  • Dash of cayenne pepper (or to taste)
  • 1 Tbsp of curry (or to taste)
  • 1 can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
  • 1 can of Great Northern or cannellini beans (I used Great Northern), drained and rinsed
  • 1 can of white nuts (gingo nuts), drained and rinsed (optional)
  • 2 14-oz cans of lite coconut milk
  • 1/2 cup of soy milk
Directions
  1. In a large soup pot, add the water, bouillon, and lentils. Bring to a boil over medium heat.
  2. Add garlic, onion, carrot, ginger, cayenne, and curry to the pot. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for about 30 minutes or until the lentils are beginning to become tender.
  3. Add the drained and rinsed cans of legumes while stirring. Add the two cans of coconut milk and the soy milk. Stir thoroughly to mix. 
  4. Cover again and allow to cook another 20 minutes. Stir carefully before serving.
I usually add a bit of vegan margarine (generally Earth Balance) on top of each bowl when I serve it, just to enhance the flavor a little and brighten it up. You can also add some turmeric for additional color.

No comments:

Post a Comment