18 December 2011

Grown-up Ramen with Peanut Sauce

I used to have a scale for determining just how broke D and I were. I'm not sure I can recall all of the steps, but I do remember that the bottom rung was (less than) affectionately called "ramen broke". That's below peanut butter sandwiches broke and below macaroni and cheese broke.

Now don't get me wrong: I do love ramen noodles. It's just that they don't love me back. I do eat them when I crave them (usually at breakfast, oddly enough), but sometimes you just want some grown-up ramen noodles.

I designed this to be a quick-and-easy meal. I believe, including prep time, it took less than 20 minutes to make the entire meal. So that is definitely something to keep in mind. It's also a two-pot meal, because it was definitely easier to do the sauce separate from the rest of the dish.

Grown-up Ramen with Peanut Sauce
A recipe by Kat

Ingredients
  • 2 packets of ramen noodles (discard the sauce packets)
  • 1 carrot, peeled and sliced thin
  • 2 medium stalks of celery, sliced
  • 6 green onions, chopped and divided
  • 2 teaspoons of sesame oil, divided
  • 3 Tablespoons of peanut butter (I used creamy but crunchy would also work)
  • 2 packets of takeout soy sauce (this is about 3 teaspoons)
  • 1 teaspoon of honey
  • 1 teaspoon of ground ginger
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1 to 3 teaspoons of hot sauce
  • 1 to 3 teaspoons of chili powder
  • 1 Tablespoon of Red Star Nutritional Yeast
  • 1 to 1 1/2 cups of vegetable broth
Directions
  1. In a medium pot, add one teaspoon of sesame oil. Set heat to medium-low. As it grows warm, it will pop and sizzle. Add the carrot, celery, and white parts of the green onions. Allow to cook until carrot and celery are tender, about five minutes. Set aside.
  2. Briefly rinse out pot and add enough water to cover ramen noodles, at least 3 cups. Turn heat to high. Bring water to boil and add noodles. Cook according to package directions, about 3 to 4 minutes.
  3. While ramen is cooking, heat peanut butter and soy sauce over medium-low heat. Add other ingredients from honey to nutritional yeast, stirring constantly. Add remaining sesame oil. Add vegetable broth in stages, continuing to stir, until sauce has reached desired consistency. Remove from heat.
  4. Drain ramen noodles and divide them between 2 bowls. Add vegetables to bowls, dividing them in half as well. Pour sauce over noodles and vegetables. Top with remaining green onions. Serve hot and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment