16 December 2011

Very Cheesy Risotto

I wasn't completely sure that this recipe was ready to go live. I've been messing around with it for weeks now. Though I'm happy with the taste of it, I can never quite get a photo of it that pleases me.

The major downside of trying to do a cooking blog is that photos of the recipes are necessary. However, I also have four cats, three of which are constantly curious about what's going on in the kitchen. It also means that my kitchen and eating area remain in a constant state of disarray, making photos less than easy -- and potentially less than appealing. (Seconds after I snapped this photo, Roo decided the cheese in this smelled delicious and he needed some Right Now. See? You could have had a giant orange feline head in the picture.)

I can't say for certain that I got my risotto recipe anywhere in particularly. I took many various recipes and edited them and messed about with them, until I had something that was delicious to both D and me. This is the result of that. At this point, I'm willing to say that this is now an original Kat creation, yeah?

See? We do eat things beside soup!

Very Cheese Risotto
A recipe from Kat

Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 cup of arborio rice
  • 4 to 5 cups of vegetable broth or water and vegetable bouillon cubes (1 cube per cup of water)
  • 1/4 cup of dry white wine (I used Moscato because I like the dry-sweet taste of it)
  • 1 medium onion, chopped (I used Vidalia)
  • 1-2 medium carrots, skinned and chopped
  • 1 Tablespoon of margarine (I used Earth Balance)
  • 1 Tablespoon of olive oil
  • 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese
  • 2 Tablespoons of reduced fat Cheddar cheese
  • 2 Tablespoons of reduced fat Mozzarella cheese
Directions
  1. In a large saucepan or pot, melt the margarine over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil. Add chopped carrots and onion, and cook until carrots are tender and onion is translucent, about 5 to 7 minutes.
  2. Meanwhile, heat the vegetable broth in a large pot. It should be just below boiling or at a rolling boil when added to the rice.
  3. Add arborio rice to the pot.
  4. Add the white wine to the rice, carrots, and onion. Stir until it has been absorbed by the rice.
  5. Add the vegetable broth a half-cup at a time to the rice. You will need to stir the rice until each half-cup of broth is absorbed before you add the next half-cup. 
  6. Keep adding the liquid until rice is tender. This will take about 20 minutes. I can usually set a timer on this.
  7. Remove from heat and stir in cheeses. Serve hot and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment